3 years ago...


Three years ago today, I looked like this. I was younger, skinner, and had much longer hair. I also had a different name, lived in a different city, and didn't have a cat named Moses. What happened on this day changed my life forever. I got a new name, started on a new journey, and was about to experience some of the most joyful, fun times, and also some of the most difficult growing experiences of my life. I started this day three years ago as one person, and ended it as two.

Life is better as two. As Bono says: "We're one, but we're not the same. We get to carry each other." I like that imagery. There have been various occasions in the past three years where he carried me and I carried him, and sometimes we leaned on each other hoping that the opposing forces would keep us both up.

I think we'll probably face a lot more of that in the years to come, and I'm happy about it. I'm happy to be with my best friend in the whole world. Even when I miss the way life used to be; when I miss college, family, old towns, etc., I have a stable partner who is now inextricably woven into the fabric of who I am, even the parts that preceded him.

2 comments:

RJ said...

It was one hell of a wedding too! And while you guys were off honeymooning, I dented rental cars with my butt and we celebrated your wedding by watching Adam chop his finger off.

Seriously though - you guys threw one of the best weddings I've ever been to. I loved the tea.

Hans-Georg Gadamer said...

Sweet nuptial union!