Troubling

I just read this article in the NY Times. I highly recommend it. It's a very disturbing, thought-provoking piece about the rise of infant mortality in the poorest regions of Mississippi. I don't really know what to say about it. It reminded me of this book by a former professor. It's really hard to reconcile the structural and cultural features of abject poverty. I generally try to avoid the culture of poverty argument, because I think it often unfairly stigmatizes people who have just fallen into really bad circumstances. But, there is something to be said about having 3 babies die by the time you are 24, yet you keep on getting pregnant and keep on neglecting medical care. I know that education is a huge factor here. Access to clinics and vitamins and prenatal care is really vital. (At this point, let me point out that the US has the highest infant mortality rate of any developed, Western nation. Might the lack of health care have something to do with that? I think so.) But, so is educating young women about the consequences of young, single motherhood. This is a social problem that has puzzled me for years. I tend to think (in my most pessimistic moments) that this problem is unsolvable.

What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

Justin said...

What's your opinion on this? http://www.city-journal.org/html/15_2_holding.html

It's somewhat related...

greg'ry said...

Mair,
Troubling is an understatement. After reading the NY Times article I came away with many thoughts. The biggest two are the 300-400 pound people producing babies, yet they are malnourished. Sounds more like an abuse of the food stamps than anything, and number two is the youth and the amount of kids that the young are producing.

Sounds like education is needed rather than more welfare.

This problem will get worse, most likely because money will be spent in other "more pressing" areas.

Maybe "Children Of Men" is what we need.

Justin said...

Greg'ry, the people who way the most are generally the people who eat the cheapest, least nutritious food.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/magazine/22wwlnlede.t.html?ex=1178942400&en=56cc414e60cd9be3&ei=5070

Justin said...

That should totally say "weigh". Yikes.